I do not typically blend in.
- I have a huge head as a result of my huge hair. So much hair. Every hair stylist says, “You have SO much hair.” Oh, really? Thanks for that little tidbit.
- Back in the day, my dad drove a purple minivan and picked me up from dance class. If you aren’t from a typical suburb, you might not know how out of the ordinary this is. But trust me. It is.
- In elementary school, my teachers said I was great student, “but I talked too much,” and “didn’t raise my hand.”
- I tend to dislike rules. See #3.
- I have tattoos in places that can’t be covered unless I wear a snowsuit or one of those pajamas suit thingies with feet. Footies?
- I hate footies.
- I hate napping. So much so that I refused to do it in pre-school and kindergarten.
- Kindergarten was a place where we called our teachers by their first names.
- When it comes to titles or name etiquette, I usually mess up (or don’t care). See #8.
- I believe women have first names. Forget Mr. and Mrs. Soon-to-be-J.D. It’s Mr. Soon-to-be-J.D. and Ms. Quick Cook Rice to you. See #8.
- I may or may not talk to my Louis Pug like he’s a person.
- Louis Pug is a dog. In case that wasn’t clear.
- If you go out to dinner with me, I will inevitably have to ask about vegan dishes, and when the waiter gets that glazed expression, I will have go down the “no egg, no dairy, no chicken/beef stock, no butter” questionnaire.
I do typically make blended soups.
Next week that’ll change, but for now there’s this (partially inspired by this):
Blend In Thai Carrot Soup
(vegan, serves 4)
- 1 T coconut oil (can sub olive oil if you’d like)
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1/3 of a cup)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped (chop off the top part and just use the bottom)
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (try to get a bunch with the green stem still attached, or use 6-7 carrots)
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t cardamom
- 1 T cumin
- 4 cups veggie stock
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (either low fat or regular)
- 3 T almond butter
1. Heat oil on medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook until transculent.
2. Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cumin, nutmeg, and cardamom. Stir for 1 minute.
3. Add carrots and veggie stock. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and add orange juice, lime juice, coconut milk, and almond butter. Stir to combine.
5. Transfer soup to a blender and blend until combined (or use an immersion blender). If using a blender, transfer back to pot or serve right from blender.
Feel free to eat and slurp whilst wearing your footie PJs.
I won’t be. But I’m cool with it.